Fast Forward Syracuse

University leaders to provide updates on Campus Framework at open forum

Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly, Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala and Provost for Faculty Engagement Cathryn Newton will lead the forum.

Syracuse University administrators on Tuesday will host an open forum related to the Campus Framework plan, during which updates and reviews of the plan will be provided.

Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly, Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala and Provost for Faculty Engagement Cathryn Newton will lead the forum. They are expected to provide information related to the Campus Framework that was gathered during the fall in addition to taking feedback on the next steps for the plan.

Members of the Campus Framework Advisory Group and the Office of Campus Planning, Design and Construction will also be at the forum to answer questions from attendees.

During the forum, those leading it are expected to share the results of two audits that were conducted during the fall, including an accessibility audit. They will also provide an overview of Campus Framework priorities identified by academic deans on campus.

In addition, they will further discuss the goals of the newly-created Campus Facilities Advisory Board, for which members were announced on Thursday. The board was created to assess all academic and non-academic investments within the Campus Framework, as well as to improve decision-making and communication on construction projects.

The university has held similar Campus Framework forums during the same week of the spring semester each of the past two years.

The Campus Framework Advisory Group and members of Sasaki Associates, SU’s design partner, gave a presentation on March 2, 2016, in Hendricks Chapel detailing campus analysis findings related to the Campus Framework. A year later, School of Architecture Dean Michael Speaks led a Campus Framework update session in Schine Student Center’s Goldstein Auditorium.

The Campus Framework plan is meant to guide SU’s physical campus development over the next 20 years. It includes long-term construction projects, such as phasing student housing out of South Campus and moving it all to Main Campus, as well as short-term projects that have already started or been completed, such as the University Place promenade. It also includes both minor projects and major projects, such as renovations to the Carrier Dome’s roof.

Tuesday’s open forum will be held at 4 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium in Newhouse 3.

Disclaimer: The Daily Orange leases a house on Ostrom Avenue owned by Syracuse University. As part of the long-term Campus Framework implementation, the university has proposed building student housing on Ostrom Avenue where The Daily Orange currently operates.